Why can’t I poop?
Experiencing occasional constipation is normal, for instance, while traveling or after surgery. But what if it becomes chronic?
We’ll learn some steps you can try to overcome chronic constipation, but first, let’s take a look at some of the leading causes:
Leading Causes of Chronic Constipation
- hidden food allergies or sensitivities
- insufficient food or water intake
- a diet that lacks fiber and is high in the refined carbohydrates, sugar, and white food products
- gluten-free products that include lots of rice, corn starch, or tapioca, all of which can cause constipation
- lack of adequate gut flora from antibiotic use
- lack of exercise and poor abdominal muscle tone
- low hydrochloric acid or other digestive enzymes
- sympathetic dominance from too much stress
- vertebrae that are out of alignment and require chiropractic care
- low thyroid function
- jammed ileocecal valve
Remedies To Try For Chronic Constipation
- Increase vegetable fiber in the diet (see below)
- Avoid gluten-containing grains and too many gluten-free products that aren’t “whole foods.”
- Aim for 30 g of fiber a day. Check out the fiber chart below.
- Drink at least 80 ounces of water a day.
- Eliminate all dairy products. They are very constipating.
- Add 1 to 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed oil to food or drink every day
Constipation Remedy Recipe:
- 1 – 3 Tbls ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup puréed prunes
- Up to 4 Tbls apple cider, adding enough to make a thick paste
Take 2-3 tablespoons every evening.
Great Sources Of Fiber:
- ½ cup chickpeas, 17 grams
- 1 cup lentil, boiled, 15 grams
- 1 medium artichoke, steamed, 10 grams
- 1 cup baked beans, 10 grams
- medium pear with skin, 8 grams
- medium apple with skin, 5.5 grams
- 1 cup broccoli, steamed, 5 grams
- 23 almonds, 3.5 grams
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked, 3.5 grams
- 1 cup strawberries, 3 grams
- 1 small potato with skin, 3 grams
- 1 medium banana, 3 grams
- 48 pistachios, 3 grams
- 1 raw carrot, 1 gram
- Add Magnesium Malate or Magnesium Citrate in the evening. Either tablets or powdered form allows for higher dosages. Start with 250 mg and work up to 1000 mg until you achieve relief. Magnesium pulls water into the colon and rehydrates the stool, and you will have the added benefit of feeling more relaxed, and any muscle cramps will disappear.
- Add a probiotic that ranges from 5 billion like our Probiotic Synergy to 50 billion organisms like our ProbioMed 50, 100, or 250 and take with dinner.
- Add digestive enzymes, one that includes hydrochloric acid. Our Digestzymes is a complete formula that also includes pancreatic enzymes.
- Add fiber products such as Colon Plus Capsules or PaleoFiber, which contain both soluble and insoluble fiber.
- Use our safe herbal laxative made of 9 botanicals,