A few weeks ago I had a severe stomach bug that left me feeling weak and exhausted. The malaise lasted for days, far beyond other episodes. It wasn’t until I had an adjustment by my very talented daughter, Dr. Annie Reyes, that my stomach felt immediately better and my energy started to improve. She used a combination of traditional chiropractic techniques, applied kinesiology, and cranio-sacral therapy during our session.
I had immediate relief from the terrible knot in my stomach and was able to breathe again for the first time in days. By the next morning, my energy started to, as I call it, upwell. I felt so much better overall. Apparently, vomiting causes a lot of disruption to the diaphragm, and if not corrected, can lead to long-term problems with breathing, reflux, and other digestive disturbances.
It’s also worth noting that chiropractic care, especially of the lower spine, can help with other GI issues, including constipation.
Adjustments like Annie did with me can be part of your post-stomach bug care. Think of manual therapies along with these guidelines from the Mayo Clinic to help you recover more quickly from the stomach flu:
- Let your stomach settle. Stop eating solid foods for a few hours.
- Try sucking on ice chips or taking small sips of water. You might also try drinking clear soda, clear broths or noncaffeinated sports drinks. Drink plenty of liquid every day, taking small, frequent sips.
- Ease back into eating. Gradually begin to eat bland, easy-to-digest foods, such as soda crackers, toast, gelatin, bananas, rice, and chicken. Stop eating if your nausea returns. (See BeWell’s recipe for One-Pan Easy Chicken Supper HERE)
- Avoid certain foods and substances until you feel better. These include dairy products, caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, and fatty or highly seasoned foods.
- Get plenty of rest. The illness and dehydration may have made you weak and tired.
And I would add to remember to get a good adjustment after you have any kind of stomach bug! For more information about Drs. Annie and Matt Reyes, visit Reyes Active Body Chiropractic.