SIBO and SIFO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth and Small Intestinal Fungal Overgrowth) are hidden infections in the gut.
25 years ago I started talking to my clients about “leaky gut” or intestinal hyperpermeability. Now the drug companies are feverishly researching a new drug that will heal it.
Let’s talk about two of the most common causes of leaky gut, SIBO and SIFO.
These are infections in the small intestine, often undiscovered, and can affect all aspects of health. These include digestion, brain function, bladder control, energy, and immunity.
The Most Common Symptoms of SIBO and SIFO
- Foul smelling gas several hours after eating
- Bloating several hours after eating
- Itchiness, anywhere
- Rectal itching
- Brain fog
- Muscle pain, unrelated to exercise
Some people show no digestive symptoms and can only be identified through testing.
What can cause SIBO/SIFO?
- Long term use of PPI meds such as Zantac, Omeprazole, Nexium and others.
- Low digestive enzyme production
- Pancreatic enzyme insufficiency
- Bile insufficiency
- Food poisoning
- Lyme and co-infections
- Crohns or bowel wall thickening
- Antibiotic use
- Alcohol consumption
- Excess sugar intake
- Adhesions, surgical and endometrial
- Ileocecal valve dysfunction
What do we do about SIBO or SIFO?
At BeWell, we work with clients to correct the underlying cause/causes through the use of:
- Appropriate probiotics
- Avoid highly fermentable foods such as fermented foods, chia seeds, chickpeas and others
How do you find out if you have SIBO/SIFO?
- TRIAD testing (available at BeWell)
- Lactulose/Mannose Breath Test
If you think you may have SIBO/SIFO, schedule a Free 15-Minute Consultation with BeWel