There’s a funny saying that you shouldn’t leave your car windows open in the summer, because you’ll likely find a few zucchini on the front seat. Such is the abundance and generosity of zucchini and squash plants this time of year that home gardeners often don’t know what to do with them. Just turn your back on the garden for a day or two and you’ll have huge veggies to harvest!
But what to do with these summer favorites?
Here is one of our favorite summer recipes for these huge zucchini in case you’re wondering what to do with them:
Fried Zucchini Rounds
- Slice them in thick (1/2-1 inch) rounds
- Dredge in flour*, beaten egg*, and finally, panko crumbs* (adding Parmesan cheese really adds to the flavor!)
- Sauté in olive oil or coconut oil until golden brown
- Serve hot as a side dish. Sometimes we add a dollop of tomato sauce and turkey meatballs for protein. Goes well with just about anything!
- A lower fat version would be to spray with olive oil and bake them at 350 till tender on the inside and crisp on the outside.
* You can also use GF flour, flax eggs, and GF bread crumbs.