Chocolate-Covered Nut Bars – 18 servings
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips (60% or higher cacao) or vegan chocolates (Food For Life)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- In a food processor, grind cashews to a fine meal. Add dates, almond butter, syrup, flour, coconut and almond extract; pulse until a sticky dough forms.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. With a drop of water on hands, press cashew mixture onto parchment, forming a 1-inch-thick rectangle. Refrigerate until firm, 6 to 8 hours.
- Set a stainless steel or glass bowl over a pot of simmering water (water not touching bowl). In bowl, combine chocolate chips and oil. Stir until just melted, 3 to 5 minutes; remove from heat. Pour chocolate mixture over cold cashew mixture; smooth with spatula.
- Refrigerate until chocolate coating sets, at least 1 hour. Using parchment, lift bar out of baking sheet. Cut into 18 rectangles.