- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 lb. waxy potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 15oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry white or red wine (or use an additional cup of broth)
- 3 cups good quality broth
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut up
- 3 large leaves of kale, washed and sliced into ribbons
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a soup pot and add the garlic and onions. Sauté the mixture until the onions soften and become translucent.
- Stir in the celery, carrots, potatoes, canned tomatoes, wine and broth. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add the green beans, kale, red bell pepper and parsley. Lower the heat and cover the pot. Cook for another 25-45 minutes or until the vegetables can be easily pierced with a knife.
Note: You can also add ground beef, chicken, or sausage to the stew for extra flavor.