Mix together dry ingredients:
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (best if you can find non-GMO)
- ½ cup gluten-free flour blend (Trader Joe’s has a blend of brown rice, potato starch, rice flour, and tapioca flour.)
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
When ready to bake, you need to essentially make a dairy-free buttermilk. The buttermilk will substitute for egg as a leavening ingredient in your cornmeal. To make this buttermilk, mix together:
- slightly less than 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar
Let it sit for five minutes.
- ¼ cup palm shortening (I believe coconut oil would also suffice, though I have never tried it.)
- Additional ¼ cup of coconut milk
- Pour the buttermilk and shortening into the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Do not over mix.
- Pour into greased muffin tins, or a greased 9 x 9 glass baking dish. For muffins, bake at 375 degrees for 22 minutes. For the 9 x 9 pan, bake at the same temperature, testing at 20 minutes for done-ness.