My chocolate cravings came back last week, big time. I immediately thought “magnesium”and started taking more than my usual amount….the chocolate cravings were under control in a day or two….I realized that the new fitness program I began was increasing my magnesium needs to repair muscle after workouts. Hence, for now, I’ll be needing more.
This incident made me think about how much fun it is to be able to read your body’s cues as your needs change.
Here are a few observations and what they might mean nutritionally. Enjoy learning about yourself!
- Vertical ridges in nails: zinc, A, protein deficiency
- Chicken skin on arms and legs, eczema, acne: zinc, A, protein and a Omega 3 deficiency
- White spots on fingernails: zinc
- Slow healing of cuts and scrapes and painful open skin around nails in cold weather: zinc
- Muscle cramps, tics, spasms: calcium and magnesium deficiency
- Flyaway hair and excess or hard ear wax: Omega 3 deficiency
- Sore cracked lips and specifically scaly ring around the mouth: Vita D deficiency
- Cracks at the corner of your mouth: B Complex deficiency
- Sore or bleeding gums or recurrent nosebleeds: Vita C deficiency
PS did you know that birth control pills severely deplete magnesium, zinc and B Vitamins? Anyone taking them should be on a high potency multi that includes at least 25% the DV for these important nutrients.
If you’re having issues and not sure how to correct them, schedule a Free 15 Minute Consult to see how we may be able to help you.
Stay Healthy and BeWell!