- 3 cups red beans (I used dry beans that I soaked over night but you can use canned beans if you’d prefer; 3 cans, drained)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 bag of frozen okra (I was lucky to get some fresh okra from the Friends & Farmers Co-op over the summer. So I used that.)
- 1 large can of crushed tomatoes ( I use the Fire Roasted ones because I like the smokey flavor)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 /2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sage
- Salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to your crock pot. Cook 4 hours on high.
- I typically use organic basmati rice. Brown rice works as well.
- If you are not vegan and you would like to add meat; andoullie sausage and shrimp work well.