I like to make soups in the crock pot for cold winter days. It’s a great way to prepare ahead of time and have lunches for the week. One of my favorite things to make is chili. It’s super quick and easy and there are many variations, from ground chicken, turkey, or beef to vegetarian options with an assortment of different beans and veggies.
My recent batch was vegetarian and delicious! Here’s what I did:
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 cup black beans (I used dried beans, soaked overnight)
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock*
- 1 cup mushroom stock*
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp. chili powder (keep in mind, I don’t really measure my spices, so you may need to add more to taste)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- A couple shakes of salt and pepper
*You may need to add more stock if your soup is too thick.
Add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on medium to high for 4-6 hours.