Does too much protein cause osteoporosis?
But a meta-analysis of protein intake and it’s effect on bone health, published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition (August 2017), we learn that dietary intake of protein is fundamental for bone building across all life stages. The study suggests that protein intake above the current RDA (or minimal daily recommendation) may be beneficial for bone health. After all, it makes sense that we need plenty of the building blocks derived from protein to rebuild a new skeleton every 7 years!
It’s important to note that there was no difference between animal or plant protein. The important thing is total protein intake, although according to the author, data in this area is scarce and requires further study.
In addition to optimizing protein intake, let’s discuss the BeWell approach to preventing bone loss or rebuilding bone density:
- Assess bone building nutrients such as calcium, magnesium, boron and Vita D+ Vita K through blood and urine testing.
- Assess bone building hormones such as progesterone, estradiol and DHEA using saliva for greatest accuracy
- Assess hidden food allergies (did you know that undiagnosed non celiac gluten sensitivity is a major cause of osteopenia?)
- Check ability to digest and assimilate bone building nutrients and improve bone mass
- Begin a targeted dietary, supplement, and exercise program for rebuilding
- Check the efficacy of the bone building program after 3 months using a simple at home urine test. (Bone Resorption Test $72)
If bone loss is still occurring we alter the program and check again until we have evidence the bone health is improving. The benefit of this approach is that you’ll know within a few months if your program is effective rather than waiting till the next Dexa bone scan, which is often two years apart.
No waiting, guessing and hoping. Just solid science.
If you need help with your bone mass, call us for a Free 15-Minute Consultation to see if we can help you.
Hear from two of our many clients who experienced improved bone mass on one of our Custom Support Programs:
Increased Bone Mass
I am thrilled to find out that I have gained bone mass in both my spine and forearm since following Monica’s bone building program of diet and supplements. I was really grateful to be able to check my program after being on it for a fe