Back to school can mean extra stress when you are trying to prepare lunches and snacks that are allergen-free. We like to make things a little easier for you, so here are some ideas to get you started!! ~ Angie
- Gluten-free/Allergen-friendly Sandwich Bread
- Grain-free bread (such as the Grain-free Sandwich Bread from Julian Bakery)
- Gluten-free Tortillas or Wraps (such as Rudi’s tortillas)
- Safe crackers of choice
- Safe bagels of choice (such as Udi’s)
- Gluten-free Whole Grain Pancakes
- Grain-free Allergen Safe Pancakes
- Allergen Safe Grain-free OR Whole-grain Gluten Free Waffles
- Nut Butter or Nut-free Butters. Top with fruit slices or Jelly plus 1-2 tsp Ground Chia or Flax.
- Home-made (or store-bought) Hummus topped with cucumbers and/or shredded carrots
- Mashed avocados, 1/4 tsp lime juice, and shredded Daiya dairy-free on gluten free tortillas (goat cheese if tolerated)
- Lunchmeat slices (such as Wegman’s organics, Boar’s Head, Applegate Farms), Avocado slices, Roasted Peppers, Dairy-free cheese shreds or slices
- Lunchmeat slices with Roasted veggies and hummus in a pita
- Mashed beans, pinch of salt, lettuce with shredded Dairy-free cheese, on a tortilla
- Mix together: shredded chicken (or tuna), diced celery, diced apples, diced grapes, egg-free mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste.
- Black bean burgers with avocado slices on a sandwich or gluten free bun.
- Sandwich on a Stick – this is a fun idea from the Disney’s Family Fun Site
- Leftover dinner meat (meatloaf works especially well because you can sneak in vegetables)
Other Main Dish Ideas:
- Cooked brown rice mixed with cannellini beans, garlic salt, and shredded dairy-free cheese.
- Cooked brown rice or quinoa tossed with diced chicken, broccoli florets, dried cranberries, coconut oil, a splash or orange juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- Fun shaped pasta noodles tossed with cooked broccoli, shredded carrots, diced black olives, and 1 Tbsp olive oil dressing.
- Gluten-free gnocchi or ravioli with marinara sauce for dipping.
- Gluten-free spaghetti and meatballs.
- Meatballs and sauce in a thermos – send allergy-friendly bread or rolls for a meatball Sub, if desired.
- Homemade soups in a thermos .
- Meatloaf muffins with brown sugar glaze – bake in muffin pan. (these are gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, and easily egg-free.)
- Black bean salsa with diced chicken and avocado mixed in a container, and gluten-free corn chips for dipping.
- Tacos: send seasoned ground beef mixed with fillings of choice and soft tortillas (like the Rudi’s wraps)
Sides and Snacks:
- Bananas, apples, or celery with a small container of nut butter, sunflower seed butter, or soy butter for dipping
- Raw vegetables (sugar snap peas, broccoli, carrots, celery, etc.) with hummus or salad dressing for dipping (try pureeing vegetables into your hummus).
- Roasted fingerling potatoes with marinara sauce for dipping
- Fresh fruit kebabs with dairy or dairy-free yogurt for dipping
- Fruit dipped in pumpkin pie dip: pureed pumpkin or sweet potato mixed with pumpkin pie spice and a little honey. Good with apple, pear, or banana slices
- Roasted pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
- Smoothies in a thermos – get creative and add different fruits, greens, chia or flax seeds
- Nuts: if not allergic and your school allows them
- Trail mix with dairy-free dark chocol