So this week we thought that we’d help you plan a healthy fall meal – dessert and all! You ready?
We are going to start with:
Black Bean Crock Pot Chili
- 1 lb. ground turkey or hamburger, slightly cooked
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2-4 tbsp. chili powder
- 1-2 hot peppers (optional)
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, minced (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly sauté burger in a pan with 1 tsp. of olive or coconut oil. Add to crock pot.
- Add all other items to crock pot. Cook for 4-6 hours, depending on your crock.
If you tolerate dairy, you can add a dollop of sour cream. You can also add grated cheese, guacamole, and olives.
From the kitchen of Angie J
And you can’t have chili without:
Corn Bread (Gluten-Free Dairy-Free)
Mix together dry ingredients:
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (best if you can find non-GMO)
- ½ cup gluten-free flour blend (Trader Joe’s has a blend of brown rice, potato starch, rice flour, and tapioca flour.)
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
When ready to bake, you need to essentially make a dairy-free buttermilk. The buttermilk will substitute for egg as a leavening ingredient in your cornmeal. To make this buttermilk, mix together:
- slightly less than 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar
Let it sit for five minutes.
- ¼ cup palm shortening (I believe coconut oil would also suffice, though I have never tried it.)
- Additional ¼ cup of coconut milk
- Pour the buttermilk and shortening into the dry ingredients and mix just until blended. Do not over mix.
- Pour into greased muffin tins, or a greased 9 x 9 glass baking dish. For muffins, bake at 375 degrees for 22 minutes. For the 9 x 9 pan, bake at the same temperature, testing at 20 minutes for done-ness.
Lastly, what better way to top off this meal than with:
Apple Upside Down Cake (and of course it is GF and DF!)
- 1 cup brown or coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup grated zucchini squash
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped cranberries
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, peeled apple
- 8 thinly sliced apple rings
- 1/4 cup whole cranberries
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup brown or coconut palm sugar
- 3 Tbs. melted butter or non-dairy alternative
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whip together sugar, oil and apple butter. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until fully integrated. Stir in flour and baking soda.
- Grate carrots and zucchini using a fine shredding disc in a food processor. Chop pecans and cranberries, then peel and dice the apple. Stir those ingredients into the batter until evenly distributed.
- Oil 8 four-inch