- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp. chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 2 tsp granulated sugar substitute
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (you can use heavy cream here if you are tolerant of dairy)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Saute onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Add chipotles, coriander, cumin, allspice, and sugar substitute to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin puree and chicken broth to the pot and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup in the pot until smooth (if you don’t have one, add the soup to a traditional blender, blend and return to the pot when smooth).
- Add the cream and simmer for another five minutes or so. Taste, then season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Serve hot, garnished with sour cream (other optional garnishes shown: pepitas and cilantro).