Well there is such a thing, and it happens to progesterone all the time. Progesterone, the “gentle” hormone helps us to
- Relax and sleep
- Soothe tight muscles
- Prevent water retention
Progesterone, nick-named “Nature’s Valium”, is the one that often gets stolen. And, cortisol, our stress hormone, is the culprit. It’s made from progesterone and when we’re in “flight or flight” too much of the time, progesterone stores are depleted.
That means estrogen levels increase and there’s imbalance between these two key hormones.
Symptoms of “estrogen dominance” are:
- Breast tenderness,
- Missed/long periods
- Severe cramping
- Fluid retention
- Ovarian/ breast cysts
- Hormonal cancers
So how can we protect our hormonal balance from stolen progesterone?
Try these 5 tips for reducing stress, and staying in balance:
- Take A Little Time: Plan some unscheduled time each day, even if only 30 minutes.
- Get More Sleep: Get 8-10 hours on a regular sleep schedule, preferably asleep by 10 pm and up by 6 am-8 am.
- Move Your Body: Try yoga, walking, aerobics class, anything to move your body and blow off some stress.
- Avoid white foods: Say No to sugar, flour, rice, artificial sweeteners, etc.
- Nourish Yourself: Eat on a regular schedule, making sure each meal and snack includes protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats. Limit alcohol and caffeine to 1 drink or cup/day.
Sometimes we need more help during stressful times–
Consider using some stress balancing supplements, to protect your progesterone stores.
Some common ones are:
- Ashwaganda and Ginsing, found in Adrenotone
- GABA, found in StressArrest
If you think you have a hormonal imbalance, consult with us at BeWell Associates to get to the root cause of your hormonal issues.
Take action now: Choose one tip to try and report your successes and challenges. We love to hear from you!