- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Cups chopped fennel
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chopped shallots
- 2 boxes of organic chicken broth
- 12 Ounces chicken legs (or breasts, depending on preference)
- 10 Ounces spinach (fresh or if frozen, thawed)
- 2 Teaspoons lemon zest
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Add fennel; cook 10 minutes, just until it begins to brown, stirring occasionally. Add salt, pepper and shallots; cook 5 minutes, until shallots are softened and fennel is lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth and chicken legs; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer chicken to a colander. Run chicken under cold water just until cool enough to handle. Remove chicken meat from bones (discard bones), shred meat and add to soup. Stir in spinach and lemon zest.
- Spoon into serving bowls, and garnish with reserved fennel fronds and shoots, if desired.