- 2 large butternut squash (about 4 1/2 lbs.) or 4 lbs. peeled and cubed butternut squash
- 2 medium onions
- 3 cloves garlic (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt plus more to taste
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. cumin
- Halve, seed, peel, and cube the butternut squash. Set aside.
- Halve, peel, and chop the onion. Mince the garlic, if you like.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the butter or oil and the chopped onion. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the squash and the broth. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until the squash is very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer small batches to a blender. Hold a kitchen towel over the top (to prevent burns) and whirl until completely and utterly smooth, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.
- Add in cumin.
- Return the soup to the pot and add more salt to taste.
From the kitchen of Monica