This is a great recipe for the holidays, especially if you want to make green bean casserole that is gluten and dairy-free.
It can also be served as a belly warmer on a cold day.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 5 cups water or stock
- few sprigs fresh thyme (pull the leaves from the stems)
- few sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- In a large pot sauté the onions in the olive oil until soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, and mushrooms; sauté for a few minutes more.
- Add the water, herbs, pepper, and salt. Cover and simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and ladle some of the soup into a blender. Add the cashews and sweet rice flour. Blend on high until smooth and creamy; transfer to a clean pot. Puree the remaining soup in batches (you can blend it for just a short time for more texture or longer for a smoother consistency).
- Stir the soup together to mix the cashew cream in with the rest of the blended batches. Taste and add more salt if necessary or more water for a thinner consistency. Simmer over low heat for a few minutes to meld the flavors.
- You may choose any type of mushrooms, mix and match if you’d like.
- You can also save a few chopped mushrooms and add back into the soup once it is blended to make it heartier. This is a good idea especially if you are eating it as a soup.
Adapted from nourishingmeals.com