Pita bread is a fun alternative for sandwiches and perfect for dipping. This delicious recipe is gluten free, dairy free and can be made without eggs.
- 1 package yeast or quick-rising yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1½ cups brown rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 egg or 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons warm water
- Dissolve yeast in ½ cup warm water. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 10 to 15 minutes until water is frothy.
- 2. Combine flours, xanthan gum and salt in large bowl using a Kitchen Aid or other heavy-duty mixer. Pour in yeast mixture and egg (or egg substitute) and mix on medium speed using paddle attachment.
- 3. Slowly add ½ to 1 cup warm water and mix on medium for 2 minutes. Add enough water so that dough is soft and tacky, not liquid.
- 4. Coat large bowl with vegetable oil and place dough in bowl. Turn dough upside down so all dough is oiled. Allow dough to sit in a warm place for about 2 to 3 hours or until it has increased in size.
- 5. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Lower oven rack to bottom position and place baking sheet in oven as it preheats.
- 6. Pinch off 10 to 12 small pieces of dough and place pieces on floured surface.
- 7. Roll each piece into a circle, about 5 to 6 inches across and ¼-inch thick, with a rolling pin.
- 8. Place several circles on preheated baking sheet and bake for 4 minutes until bread puffs up. Turn over and bake for additional 2 minutes.
- 9. Remove each pita from baking sheet with a spatula and gently push down each puff. Bake additional dough until all pitas are made. Serve immediately or place in storage bags.
TIP: You can freeze pita bread (use freezer bags) for up to a month.
Recipe by Susan Adamson at LivingWithout.com